A note to visitors: We try very hard to produce reliable software but occasionally problems surface, and when they do we rectify them as soon as possible. Each release comes with a 'Latest information' file that details all the changes (except for the most minor) made in each build. Our experience is that our users prefer the candid approach to one of denial and slipstreamed changes. We operate low price subscription update schemes for our programs which keep users up to date during the period of their subscription.
Release 7.20b, 2 Dec 2020
Changes in this release:
- 7.20a shipped with the wrong program icon. Installing this release should fix things, but if you still have a question mark icon on your desktop, right-click on it, select Properties, Shortcut tab, then Change Icon. Select the correct icon and press OK. Note that Windows caches icons so the change may not be accepted immediately.
- Connection drawings weren't printed on printouts (they were on PDFs) - fixed.
- Minor fix to handling of default steel data.
- For RHS columns BS5950 Table 15 determines whether or not a check for lateral torsional buckling is required. This determination is now shown in more detail. Note that if a member's effective length exceeds the Table 15 limit its bending resistance drops sharply, hinting that an alternative section would be a better choice.
- Arrows to the right of steel beam restraint condition panels wouldn't initially allow scrolling in both directions - fixed.
- Standalone splice options didn't work - fixed
- Export to EuroBeam file wasn't reliable - fixed
- BM & SF diagram didn't show sharp change in SF at point load positions - fixed
Release 7.20a, 3 Nov 2020
This long delayed release is the result of a major project that aims to consolidate much of the SuperBeam, ProSteel and EuroBeam code into one largely common codebase.
Changes in this release:
- Beam edit dialog load page now adds four quick add buttons under the load grid - press 'U', 'R', 'V' or 'D' to add a dead load of this type; Ctrl+Click adds a live load
- Beam calculations now use mid-span deflection (as EuroBeam). The deflection coefficient for each load is shown in a new column that has been added to the beam printout load table.
- For beams extending as cantilevers, the calculation sheet now shows key results as Span:BM/SF/Deflection, Cant(s):BM/SF/Deflection (as EuroBeam) - was BM:Span/Cant(s), SF:Span/Cant(s)
- Where a steel beam is subject to a high shear force (Fv>0.6Pv) at the point of maximum bending, the bending resistance of the member has to be reduced to allow for the high shear force. Previously the reduced bending resistance was shown with no explanation; now full working is shown.
- Steel beam web crushing and buckling can now be checked at R1 and/or R2. Previously it was both or neither.
- The steel column edit dialog previously had separate dead and live load columns in load entry grid. Now, as for beams and as in EuroBeam and SuperBeam 7.20, a new second column is used to enter the load duration (D or L). If you load a project saved with an earlier release, the previous dead/live load is split across two lines.
- The function of the A/1/2/3/4 buttons in the steel column edit dialog has been changed. They now act as radio buttons: press one to select the load type, then (as appropriate) press 'Add dead load', 'Add live load' or 'B/F' to add the corresponding row(s), then edit as necessary.
- Steel column base concrete grades are now shown in the form Cxx/yy, e.g. C20/25, where the first number is the cylinder strength, the second the cube strength.
- A number of improvements to the way in which calculations are presented have been made, e.g. showing some additional working and trying to show values with the appropriate number of decimal points.
- Script for 140mm wide Catnic BSD140, BHD140 and BXD140 lintels has been added
- Autosaving has been reworked
- The User Setup, Create Backup on Save option has been removed - see ReadMe file for a full explanation
- In connection with the last change, the File Open dialog now adds an Open Backup file type option. If you open such a file you will need to use File, Save As to save it under a new name.
- When editing show current item option has been removed from User Setup, Preferences.
- User Setup now adds a Show Startup Dialog checkbox.
- User Setup, Apply Closes option has been removed: now in edit dialogs, press Apply to commit your changes, then Close when done.
- A new Configuration Preference checkbox, Show startup dialog, has been added. If this box is checked, on starting a dialog is displayed with three options: Start New Project, Open Project or Reload Last Project.
- Colour dialog now has buttons to set screen window colours to light and dark defaults. Pressing either of these buttons resets the font colours appropriately.
- Colour themes Golden Graphite and Metro Blue have been replaced by Glow Black and Stellar Blue.
- This release is built with Embarcadero Delphi Sydney 10.4.1 which should improve rendering on 4K displays.
Release 7.19l, 26 May 2020
We've left this as a 7.19x release pending a major revision which will be released as 7.20a.
- Fix made to beam opening calculation printout: see program ReadMe file for details - in some cases the actual Vierendeel moment capacity of the opening was higher than that shown in the printout.
- For stiffened openings a warning note is now printed if the space between the inside face of the flange and face of the stiffener is less than 50mm (this is an arbitrary figure chosen by us). This note is purely informational but when it is added you should satisfy yourself that there will be adequate space to weld the stiffener.
- Page border (if selected): RH border was not printed in correct place or omitted on certain printers - fixed.
- Cancelling a Print to PDF operation triggered an AV error - fixed
Release 7.19k, 30 March 2020
- Import items from another project code has been revised. Previously the program could hang if you selected something other than a SuperBeam or ProSteel file and we had one report of this option hanging the program when running on a system with 4K display.
Release 7.19j, 15 October 2019
- On occasions when starting ProSteel the File New/Open menu options could be left disabled - code changed to prevent this.
Release 7.19h/i, 9 October 2019
XP users please note
Release 7.19h has been produced for the very small number of users (<2% according to our download stats) who are running EuroBeam on Windows XP systems. 7.19i and later will run on Windows Vista or later. XP user info page
Changes in this release:
- Bug that causes occasional error message on shutdown fixed (hopefully).
- Data entered into beam and column edit dialog load grids could be lost if data entry was followed by cursor up/down key - fixed
- 7.19i: File Open and Save options now show current style dialogs on Windows 10 systems
- If an invalid beam web opening vertical position was entered (e.g. '100)'), correcting it didn't take effect - fixed.
- Cutting an OLE page is now permanent: you can't cut and paste OLE pages.
- Various other small presentational and other enhancements
Release 7.19g, 10 September 2019
- The Configuration, Fonts dialog now shows the selected fonts on an appropriate background
- In 7.19f the text editor Add Note and Use Note buttons weren't visible - fixed
Release 7.19f, 29 August 2019
- Although this won't affect most users, this release incorporates numerous changes to make it multi-monitor friendly.
- Further changes to improve 4K compatibility have been made.
- The Misc, Steel section data option didn't tabulate the data correctly - fixed
- The maximum heading height has been increased from 250 (50mm approx) to 375 (75mm approx).
Release 7.19e, 18 July 2019
- Printing individual calculations omitted any page number prefix and/or suffix - fixed
Release 7.19d, 20 May 2019
- Various issues with entering data into beam and column load grids fixed.
- Heading template lost italic setting on save and reload - fixed.
- Page numbering did not always start with correct number - fixed.
- Print Project with page numbering by content omitted any page number prefix and/or suffix - fixed
Release 7.19c, 15 April 2019
- Fixes Windows XP incompatibility introduced into 7.19a. Please note that maintaining XP compatibility in future releases is not guaranteed: some things are in our control but our programs use several bought-in code libraries whose authors no longer guarantee XP compatibility. Microsoft officially withdrew support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014.
- The new page heading designer now adds Undo and Redo buttons.
- In the page heading designer you can now move an item by clicking on it in the preview pane, then pressing Ctrl+Up/Down/Left/Right. The item is moved by the grid increment set at the bottom of the designer.
- Overline spacing has been increased slightly on PDFs
- If you added bearings to a beam then deleted them, they continued to appear on the Project Summary until you saved and reloaded the project - fixed.
Release 7.19b, 17 March 2019
This addresses three small issues in 7.19a:
- Copy allocations could incorrectly default to blank - fixed
- For new installs, the default font sizes have been changed from 10/11/12 to 9/10/11.
- When updating from a pre-2019 release, your previous heading, but updated to the new svg format, should be selected but wasn't always - fixed.
Release 7.19a, 11 March 2019
New page heading designer
- This is a major change: the previous 8x4 page heading editor goes back to ProSteel 1, 1993. For full information see our web page. Existing heading layouts should be automatically converted to the new format but a little fettling may be necessary.
- Associated change: page margins are now measured from the paper edge, not the edge of the printable area and are now common to all PDF and printer output. The same margin settings are shared by SuperBeam, ProSteel and EuroBeam if you are running more than one of our programs. Previous values are not brought forward: change the new defaults if necessary using the Configuration, Page Margins option.
- Associated change: 2019 and onward releases of SuperBeam, ProSteel and EuroBeam share the same Copy Allocation field values; change a value in one program and the other(s), if installed, will pick up the new value.
- Configuration, User Setup dialog now adds a field for current page heading file - headings are now stored in external svg files. To copy a heading from one computer to another, copy this file across to the second PC.
Other changes and fixes
- Text page, link to beam option has been removed: this has been deprecated since 2014.
- The program executable file is now named prosteel.exe rather than ps7.exe
- With effect from now we are using a new way of numbering releases: 2019 releases will be 7.19a, 7.19b ... then 2020 releases will be 7.20a, 7.20b etc
- This release is built with Embarcadero Delphi Rio - this is a technical change that does not affect end users, save that the program appearance on 4K displays should be enhanced.